Elyria Catholic High School had its formal beginnings when 70 ninth graders began their classes in a temporary facility at St. Mary's School in 1948. The construction of Elyria Catholic was completed in 1949, and the first graduation was held for 17 students on June 2, 1950.
Rev. Joseph B. Lehane, S.T.D. was the first director and the school was staffed by the Sisters of Notre Dame. Enrollment steadily grew until each class equaled almost 100 students. An additional classroom wing was added to the school in 1956, forming the "T".
The Knights of Columbus Field became a reality in the early 1960s. Lights were added in 1973, and the 1976 football team brought home Elyria Catholic's first state championship. This feat was to be repeated by the championship football teams of 1983 and 1984.
The addition of the Coliseum, cafeteria, and main offices was completed in 1966. Dads' Boosters Club provided significant funding for these additions.
In 1993, Elyria Catholic High School became the first Lorain County school to be recognized as a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the United States Department of Education. In 1996, the school received its accreditation by the North Central Association.
Under the leadership of then Principal Andrew Krakowiak, Our Lady of Grace Chapel was completed in the summer of 2003. The Chapel was built and paid for through the generous support of the staff and faculty at Elyria Catholic High School. In 2004, the school replaced the existing library with a state-of-the-art Technology and Media Resource Center. Significant improvements were also made to the auditorium at Elyria Catholic High School in 2004. New in 2007 was the completion of the addition to the Physical Education Complex and a new Home Economics Wing located in the upstairs of the former convent.
Over the past 67 years, the school has graduated more than 8,500 young men and women and has addresses for over 7,500 former students. Elyria Catholic High School remains a vibrant institution because of the strong support of the school's various stakeholders.
Mission Statement of Elyria Catholic High School
Committed to excellence and compassion, Elyria Catholic High School is a Christian community within the Catholic tradition that calls young men and women to embrace their faith, recognize their full potential and establish a life-long relationship with Jesus Christ.
Through worship, academics, extracurricular activities and service, the Elyria Catholic community educates students to use vision and courage to act as caring, just and responsible citizens of the world.
Philosophy of Elyria Catholic High School
Elyria Catholic is a comprehensive high school which emphasizes a college preparatory curriculum. Elyria Catholic encourages the students to engage in extra-curricular experiences that will help them encompass the pillars of the Mission Statement.
Our expectation is that upon graduation, an Elyria Catholic student will:
The Core Values (Pillars) of Elyria Catholic High School
Click here to download a copy of the school's profile.
|Alma Mater||Fight Song|
|Hail, all hail, the Green and White
Guide us always by thy light:
Ever grateful we will be,
For the knowledge gained from thee.
Give us faith and courage too,
United in thy purpose true;
Loyalty that never dies,
Hail, Elyria Catholic High.
|Fight, Panthers, fight!
Elyria Catholic’s proud of you!
Come on and win, Panthers win.
Your might and main will pull you through!
Rah! Rah! Rah!
Fight, green and white,
and send our foes upon their way,
and bring us victory bright,
and make this our big day.